DPF's History

DPF's History

 
     During the second world war (1941-1945), Lack of medical supply has faced Thailand. Due to this, the Thai government has launched a policy that Thai armed force should be manufactured pharmaceutical products to be used in the military by themselves. By the encouragement from the United States, Lieutenant Colonel Paul F Austin, a pharmacist who was the consellor of the Royal Thai Army Medical Department, has recommended the armed force to purchase and manufacture medical product by central state agency as Joint Medical Supply and Pharmaceutical Manufacturing. The purposes of this agency are to increase the efficiency of pharmaceutical manufacturing and to econimise the budget that spent for medicinal products. Following this, the Ministry of Defence has established the pharmaceutical products purchasing and manufacturing committee.

     In 1961, the defence council of Thailand was approved to found the Defence Pharmaceutical Factory (DPF). During the beginning period, however, DPF cannot produce a product due to the construction of manufacturing plant was on progress.

     On 23 August 1963, the Defence Pharmaceutical Factory has begun to manufacture using revolving fund from the Ministry of Finance. In 1966, DPF can be manufactured all pharmaceutical dosage forms including tablets, capsules, liquids, creams, ointments, injections, parenterals and vaccines.

     Since 1994, DPF is undercontroll the Defence Industry and Energy Centre, Office of The Permanent Secretary for Defence, Ministry of Defence. DPF is now Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) certified which approved by the Thai Food and Drug Administration. Also, DPF laboratory is complied with ISO/IEC 17025:2005 which involved about quality system and analytical standards.